The stadium was designed from the outset for multi-use, including a structurally engineered fully retractable pitch – the first for any stadium in the UK – to ensure that the football-playing surface is always in peak condition. Underneath the grass field is a synthetic grass surface that can be used for NFL games and other events. The immense size of the project meant that construction noise was difficult to mitigate, especially with 2,500 contractor personnel on site. Having such a volume of personnel working at any one time, made it practically impossible for a single noise consultant to monitor their health and well-being.
To their credit, MACE Group were quick to recognise this and in order to ensure the health and well-being of their personnel, appointed multiple noise consultants across the site to monitor the various construction activities that were taking place. Each noise consultant was responsible for a specific area of the site.
WHAT WE DID:
- Installed sound level meters across our designated zone
- Noise Monitoring
- Provided personal dosimeters to key contractor personnel
- A designated member of our team was on call at all times during works
- Noise Action Plan
- Attended weekly site meetings to provide updates on noise levels
KEY ACHIEVEMENTS / BENEFITS
- The use of personal dosimeters allows us to actively keep track of an individuals exposure to noise throughout the working day, allowing MACE Group to act accordingly and provide respite.
- We recommended generic site based noise reduction techniques, alongside more specific methods, some of which reduced the noise levels by more than 20dB for construction activities.