Built on the site of a former Ridgeons Timber and Builders Merchants, Timber Works on Cromwell Road in Cambridge comprises of 118 new council homes and 177 market sale homes, a nursery, landscaped central park, open spaces and basement car park. Designed by Pollard Thomas Edwards, it is Cambridge Investment Partnership’s (CIP) largest scheme to date and another significant contribution to the Council’s 500 Council Home Programme to meet housing needs across Cambridge.
We were initially appointed in 2018 to provide multidisciplinary services to support the planning application, which was approved by Members of Cambridge City Council in February 2018. We subsequently became involved throughout the design period, before supporting the construction and post-construction stages from 2019 onwards working closely alongside the main contractor, Hill Group. The location of the site presented our team with several challenges throughout the duration of the construction stage, most notably the close proximity of nearby National Rail train lines and assets.
WHAT WE DID:
- Initial Baseline Noise and Vibration Monitoring
- Plant Noise Assessment
- Air Quality Assessment
- ADMS Plan Modelling
- Materials Management Plan
- BREEAM Pre-Assessment
- Energy Statement
- Sustainability Statement
- Thermal Modelling
- Ventilation Statement
- Multidisciplinary Advice
- Operational Noise Assessment for the Nursery
- Detailed Noise Break-in Calculations
- Design of Winter Gardens for Amenity Spaces overlooking the railway lines
- Air Quality Demolition and Construction Dust Management Plan
- Construction Noise and Vibration Assessment
- Noise, Vibration and Dust Monitoring
- BREEAM Post Construction Stage (PCS) Assessments
KEY ACHIEVEMENTS / BENEFITS
- Secured approval from Members of Cambridge City Council in February 2018.
- We were notified that trains would sit idle for maintenance, etc. on the nearby lines throughout the duration of the works. The noise from these was not particularly high, however there were occasional impulsive noises which needed to be accounted for during the detailed design stage. To mitigate this, we recommended the use of Winter Gardens on impacted properties.
- During the construction stages, National Rail became concerned that the vibration from piling operations could have adverse impacts on the integrity of their nearby structures. To address their concerns, we carried out a Detailed Vibration Assessment and conducted Vibration Monitoring during the piling operations. The data we gathered allowed us to ensure National Rail that the ongoing piling was not impacting their structures.
- Our structural engineers designed the boundary wall to further protect the Amenity Spaces for future residents, in addition to National Rail’s assets.
“Cromwell Road is one of the largest schemes undertaken by CIP so far. Create’s team of consultants, engineers and technicians have been paramount in helping us to successfully undertake these works, providing multidisciplinary technical services and advice throughout the life of the project. Their experience and skillset has allowed us to deliver much-needed high quality homes for future residents.”
Brad Tyrrell, Senior Technical Coordinator at Hill Group