Hornsea Three will be located in the North Sea, approximately 120 km off the Norfolk coast. It will play a key role in the UK Government’s ambition of having 50 GW offshore wind in operation by 2030 as part of the British Energy Security Strategy.
We have been working alongside Ørsted, one of the leading energy groups in Northern Europe, since 2018, having been initially appointed to take over the transport and infrastructure work from another consultant in order to progress the Development Consent Orders (DCO) for the planning application. At the time, Ørsted felt these works were one of the more contentious onshore disciplines and would benefit from being managed by a company local to the required works. Over the following period, we worked closely with Ørsted to ensure all the transport and infrastructure requirements for planning and the DCO application were met.
In February 2022 we were awarded Lot 3 Traffic and Transport as part of Ørsted’s Post Consent Onshore Management & Compliance Works. Lot 3 has seen our team help facilitate the construction of an onshore cable route, associated landfall infrastructure, HVDC Converter / HVAC substation and booster buildings. We have also been appointed to provide technical advice and support to the principal contractors appointed by Ørsted.
WHAT WE DID:
DEVELOPMENT CONSENT ORDER (DCO) STAGE
- Transport Assessment
- Construction Traffic Management Plan
- Environmental Advice
- Expert Witness
PRE-CONSTRUCTION STAGE (ONSHORE INFRASTRUCTURE)
- Securing Section 6 Agreements and Managing Utilities Diversions
- Securing Minor Works Agreements
- Securing Abnormal Load and Abnormal Indivisible Load Approvals (AILs)
- Soakage Testing
- Ground Investigations
CONSTRUCTION STAGE (ONSHORE INFRASTRUCTURE)
- Noise and Vibration Monitoring, Data Management and Reporting
- Air Quality Monitoring
- Air Quality Data Management and Reporting
- Clerk of Works
- Final Construction Traffic Management Plans for North Norfolk, Broadland and South Norfolk District Council
- Structural Bridge Inspections
- Structural Advice
KEY ACHIEVEMENTS / BENEFITS
- Secured consent for Hornsea Three on 31 December 2020.
- Use of a sole Project Manager throughout the duration of the works has ensured the successful coordination of all activities to-date.
- We have successfully built relationships with Ørsted’s project management team, which has changed throughout the duration of the works.
- Our multidisciplinary team have provided specialist local knowledge at each stage of the Hornsea Three’s development so far, allowing us to enhance the proposals further with our understanding of the onshore cable route and locations it affects.
- Existing relationships with local authorities and utilities providers have ensured the correct information is provided to ensure items such as Section 278 Agreements are secured first time.
- Knowledge of local and national planning regulations have ensured Ørsted’s project management team have the correct technical reports and approvals needed to carry out works.
“I can honestly say that your technical expertise and drive to deliver the results we needed was invaluable and very likely kept me sane during the Examination process. You were a pleasure to work with, under what was very challenging circumstances.”
Sarah Drljaca, Consents Manager at Orsted UK